domingo, 1 de abril de 2012

Given circumstance - cooking and burning...

Aim of task: To experiment more with given circumstances.
Description of task: Today, our teacher asked us to spread out in the classroom so that we could find our own space, where we would pretend cooking a meal. To do this, I imagined a stove in front of me, with one cabinet on each side. I started by miming taking a couple of vegetables, putting them on the cabinet, chopping them and putting them on a pot placed on the stove to cook them. Just a simple cooking process, like I would imagine it in my mother's kitchen.



After that, Steve gave us a given circumstance. He told us that now, we should imagine that our parents had told us to make dinner, although we didn't really want to, and repeat the miming again. While doing this miming, my movements where a little bit bigger and stronger, as if I was trying to show some anger because of being forced to do something I did not want to do. My facial expression also changed, my eyebrows remained frowned. My movements weren't as careful as precise as in the original miming.

After being done with this miming, Steve gave us another given circumstance: imagine a very close friend had just died and you had to prepare dinner for everybody to came to his funeral. With this given circumstance, it was really difficult to even do anything. I was really slow, my head tilted down, and my whole body felt heavier; my shoulders where lower. I stopped at times, I didn't even really want to continue, I just wanted to lay on the cabinet with my head down. I had no reason to keep on cooking when such a bad thing had happened.
After this one, Steve told us a new given circumstance. Now, we should imagine that we were preparing dinner for somebody we really liked and that was going to come over. For this given circumstance, the rhythm increased a lot. Unlike the last given circumstance, now I felt a lot more eager to prepare dinner. I was also trying to be really careful with whatever I did, I even pretended to call somebody for advice on the cooking. The pattern of my movements because faster, and there was a smile on my face.
Now, Steve gave us a different scenario, we had some papers we wanted to burn. For this scenario, I imagined a several big piles of paper on the floor. I took a bunch of paper and put it on a separate part, took out some gasoline, pour it over the paper, took out a lighter and lit the paper on fire. Then I started taking bunches of paper by chunks and putting them on the fire.



After completing the scene “neutrally,” Steve gave us a given circumstance, that the paper we were burning was a lot of waste paper. My actions didn't change that much for this given circumstance, I just took the paper and put it in the fire, like before. I tried to pick bigger chunks this time though, given that I knew all of this was waste.
The next given circumstance Stave gave us was that the paper we were burning were letters of an ex-partner and we were burning them to forget about that ex-partner. For this given circumstance, I wasn't very sure whether I wanted to burn the paper or not. I tried to pick up a letter and read it, but I couldn't do it because I knew I had to get over this. So I started burning, rather slowly, with a slow rhythm and then, after I had put all the letters in the fire, I sit down just watching at the fire and with one hand on my face, trying to cover my eyes.
The last given circumstance to this scenario was that the paper we were burning were very confidential documents of the FBI or a very cautious organization. In this given circumstance, my rhythm increased a lot. I started looking around because I knew this documents were highly confidential and they couldn't catch me. I had to get this done as soon as possible without anybody I noticing. I sit down, so that nobody else could see me from far away. I tried to make this as fast as possible.

Reflection: I found out that for each given circumstance, my rhythm increased. I think it is true, in real life, that the rhythm at which you do things is different for different situations. And this rhythm can change with a very sudden circumstance like receiving a phone call with bad news or experiencing something unexpected. It can be difficult to imagine a given circumstance if it is too far away from something that could really happen to you. For example, when I was burning the confidential documents, I felt that this was a situation that I could never be in. However, I tried to imagine how this situation would be and I tried to combine different situations I had been in: doing something I did not want other people to take notice of and doing something quickly. I realize it is very important to do a lot of given circumstance exercises because that is what realistic theater is all about, pretending a given circumstance on stage.
Conclusion: I realize it is very important to do a lot of given circumstance exercises because that is what realistic theater is all about, pretending a given circumstance on stage. All of realistic theater is a very TOK-ish topic. Can we really, fully, pretend like if something is happening and do it the same way as if it actually happened? What if, what we are pretending to do, had life-long consequences?

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario